by Graham Edwards, Lifestyle, Directors, and Executives, Communications and journalism
I don’t know — you will have to tell me.
Since success needs to be measured against the goals and objectives you set for yourself, it goes without saying only you will know if you’re successful. Sure, there are societal norms and conventions that you can use to benchmark yourself against, but in the end, you define your own success.
Oh everyone has an opinion on this; just ask anyone and they will have quite the perspective on it — although I’ve found if you keep pressing you may find they actually struggle to articulate what success really is. I’ve even checked the Internet and found a site called Lifehack — sure enough Missy Yost offered up 20 definitions of success you should never ignore (bless her heart).
- Success is always doing your best
- Success is properly setting concrete goals
- Success is having a place to call home
- Success is understanding the difference between need and want
- Success is believing you can
- Success is remembering to balance work with passion
- Success is taking care of your needs
- Success is learning that you sometimes have to say no
- Success is knowing your life is filled with abundance
- Success is understanding you cannot keep what you don’t give away
- Success is overcoming fear
- Success is seeing your child graduate
- Success is learning something new each day
- Success is learning that losing a few battles can help you win a war
- Success is loving and being loved back
- Success is standing your ground when you believe in something
- Success is not giving up
- Success is celebrating small victories
- Success is never letting a disability hold you back
- Success is understanding you control your destiny
So there you go.
You may be saying to yourself, “But gee, we are talking about how will I know I’m successful with my business.” Again, I will say, “I don’t know — you will have to tell me”. You have goals and objectives for your business, don’t you?
PS: The only perspective I can really offer is when you set your Goals & Objectives, set them HIGH.