When you’re a leader, you work for your employees.
Not the other way around.
To me … it’s not about seeing people as “resources.”
It’s about leading with empathy and kindness, and putting an obsessive focus around your people and what they care about.
These are the qualities I try to embody as a leader:
1. Accountability: As the last line of defense, everything is my fault. Always.
2. Kindness: I want to build the “biggest building”, but I want to do it by being a good dude. I have no interest in using negativity to squeeze out work from my employees.
3. Patience: VaynerMedia will do $150 million+ in revenue this year and make almost no profit. I’m reinvesting so much back into the business and our people.
4. Giving Trust: A lot of managers say “trust is earned.” I think that’s slow and egotistical. Trust is given, and then potentially lost if an employee proves they’re not capable.
5. Working hard: Work is my oxygen. I love it.
6. Empathy: Empathy allows me to always understand what the other person is going through … no matter if they started yesterday or if they’ve been at my company for five years.
What do you think makes a good leader? Leave your $.02 in the comments!